Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Astonishing X-Men Vol. 1: Gifted, Joss Whedon and John Cassaday


So a little while ago I got to talking about comics on the internet to my friends, as one does. I mentioned that I hadn't actually read any.

Cue horror and staring from all corners of the internet.

But you see, I live in a small town, and I am not from a practicing nerd family, and my library believes in vampire books and contemporary romances. I had an excuse! I'M SORRY I'M SORRY FORGIVE ME WORLD!

Time passed, as it has a habit of doing. I went to visit some friends! And then, out of the blue, when I was at a shakespeare rehearsal, they presented me with a lovely sign, and the Whedon/Cassaday arc of Astonishing X-Men! I no longer had an excuse. I must bite the bullet and read comics.

And so I did.

And I was DELIGHTED. ^_^ They almost made the trip home enjoyable! Um, the plot. There are aliens, and a cure for mutation, and people coming back from the dead. But I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the plot is not the MAIN reason people (like me- specifically me,) like comics. We (that is to say I) like it for the characters, and the dialogue, and something I didn't even realize until reading this, which is the art. The art is SO AMAZING. I didn't know you could do that, before!

I'm just gonna skip through my incoherent talking about art, because no one needs to see that. Or read it. Because it is incoherent. (Unlike this explanation, which is SO LOGICAL I could use it as a philosophy thesis.) I'm just gonna mention some parts in this volume which I REALLY liked. :D

Anything with Emma Frost. Or Kitty Pryce. Oh, and any time Hank McCoy and Wolverine are talking. Oh, and I loved Cyclops whenever he was around too. ^_^ So that leaves out- Ord, and the researcher, and the nightmare girl- oh, and I loved Brand and Nick Fury too! The rest of it was just lovely, not DELIGHTFUL.

And yeah, I gave it four stars out of five.

6 comments:

Bahnree said...

Yeah that was a good series. :D Thanks for making me read it. But to be fair, or bewarning, or something, not all modern comics are that good. Or that clean. And that one was pushing my ickiness factor, although I'm pretty wussy.
Youuuu should read the Clone Wars 9 volume series...it has pretty art too. ^_^

Snazel said...

I did expect that it was very GOOD, seeing as everyone was all OH YOU SHOULD READ IT.

But, um, I didn't even think about the clean-ness factor. That becomes an issue?

Bahnree said...

In some comics, yeah. They're all like LETS SHOW YOU EVERYTHING
and you're like WUUTTTTTT NTY.

Snazel said...

Oh. Well. I'll keep that in mind. *wary now*

I didn't think it was an issuuuuuuue.......

Bahnree said...

In this series, or in comics in general? Sorry.
It wasn't bad, except for all the mostly naked chicks. I just wouldn't let my brother read it, is all I'm saying.

Snazel said...

Well, I've already let my brothers read this one. Oops. And there were mostly-naked-chicks? *totally doesn't notice these things unless Neil Gaiman tells her too*

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Just the numbers, sir...